January 9, 2013

Happy Feast Day of The Black Nazarene

The Black Nazarene/ Nuestro Padre Jesús Nazareno/
Itim na Nazareno
http://enjoyingwonderfulworld.blogspot.com/2012/01/feast-of-black-nazarene-january-9-2012.html)

"Viva Señor!" "Viva Señor!"

A huge crowd tries to touch the statue of The Black Nazarene, a life-sized statue of Christ is carried through town by barefooted men yelling, "Viva Señor! "

(Photo: Jim Guiao Punzalan)
On January 9, 2013 - celebration of Feast of Black Nazarene in Quiapo, Manila. Some 11 million devotees are expected to join the parade set on Wednesday.
(Photo: MGR)
The religious veneration of the Black Nazarene is rooted among Filipinos who identify themselves with the Passion of Jesus Christ. Many devotees of the Black Nazarene relate their poverty and daily struggles to the wounds and tribulations experienced by Jesus, as represented by the image.

Every Friday of the year is locally known as Quiapo Day, and is dedicated to the Black Nazarene, with the novena being held not only in the basilica but in other churches nationwide. Devotees also pay homage by clapping their hands at the end of each mass offered at the shrine.

If you decide to take part in the event, be prepared. Most in the crowd go barefoot as a sign of humility as they follow the statue. A few dozen people a year pass out and must be taken away by ambulance. And there is at least a small risk of being trampled.

Take care everyone and God bless! Happy Feast Day and "Viva Señor!"

18 comments:

Franc Ramon said...

I hope everybody would be safe in the feast of the Black Nazarene and may the countless miracles and lives affected increase.

Noks Sosa said...

I attended the Feast of the Black Nazarene last year. I just want to experience whats in it and I can say that I had so much fun. Everyone was so friendly. Sad that I wasn't able to attend this year's celebration cause I'm out of the country.

Earl Pablo said...

I never attended it but I watched it on TV. Hope people find it more meaningful than chaos. Be safe there and thanks for the info again.

Roch said...

As early as around 7 this morning, I already saw many people going to Quiapo. We live near there so the roads are getting heavy traffic as cars were hindered with processions. Oh yes, if you take part in the event, you gotta really be prepared!

MaryJane Tauyan said...

I hve seen some footages of this black nazarene indee dthe strength of filipino is very deep compare to other! xx

The Gentleman said...

I never really understood the purpose of this, so I'm in no position to give an opinion BUT I have heard of trampling incidences. I can only hope that individuals do not sacrifice personal safety in a devotional quest.

Anonymous said...

Incredible points. Solid arguments. Keep up the great effort.
Stop by my web page ... tattoo removal

Budget Biyahera said...

All I can think of when it comes to the feast day is this.. a lot of people may have different views of how devote one can be. But we can only respect their actions and decisions when partaking in such an event. We can never judge their beliefs when it comes to this kind of adoration for the Black Nazarene, or for any other saint in that manner.

papaleng said...

I have witnessed how faithful the devotees are. I salute them. But I am just wondering, why do they have to deal with those sea of people just to lay their hands sa sacred image na ito. Everyday namang open ang Quiapo Church, eh, doon na lang sana nila gawin ang ritual na ito.

Unknown said...

i have not tried going here.. totoo yan papaleng.. pero yun kase yung essence noong feast kaya si Poong Nazareno eh pinagkakaguluhan. :D

markpogi said...

I have yet to attend the Black Nazarene Feast since 2010. But I admire the people who would risk their lives and limbs just to get their hands on the "Poon" which for them (and for me) is considered sacred.

Dems said...

I never attended the festivities even when I was a Catholic. Me and nanay are contented watching it on TV. I admire the passion of those people who would risk their lives just to fulfill their panata. I hope everyone who fainted or got injured yesterday are already well.

Ron Leyba said...

Quiapo church is one good reason to visit the place. I just wish all the bad things and elements surrounding the place or even the church could go away to attract more visitors and tourist from nearby places or even internationally.

Viva Señor!

Maria Gemma Hilotin said...

Happy Feast Day! I pray all our dreams will come true this year through the Black Nazarene!

Jo-Ann said...

I was at Quiapo yesterday, I love the feeling of seeing the people get together and shouting Viva Nazareno. Jesus is holy and He saved us by dying on the cross.

Teresa Martinez said...

I have my own devotion to the Black Nazarene which is of the "quieter" kind because I am not able to join such huge crowds but I believe my faith is a strong.

Rossel said...

I'm not a devotee of Black Nazarene but I used to hear mass in Quiapo. I just saw in the news this evening how faithful the devotees are. It's just sad to know that almost 900 got hurt.

melandria romero said...

my grand mother is also a devotee, i usually accompany her at Quiapo church and she made me wear a matching dress of black nazarene.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
enjoying wonderful world