July 9, 2011

Masskara Festival - Bacolod City , The City of Smile

One of my joy trips is a very memorable– experiencing the Masskara Festival! Year 2009 I went to the City of Smile, the most festival in Bacolod City, capital city of Negros Occidental.
The City of Smiles,  the Bacolod ,  is proud of their culture as being strong willed with a warm heart and sweet. Joyful Bacolod people from all walks of life trooping the streets in the celebration the festivities.   Tourists, local and foreigners were everywhere in the streets to witness the colorful events.   

You’ll see colorful – masked dancers in the street dance competition, with beautiful design mask and colorful costumes.  They call this mardi-gras parade.The street dance competition was held October 16 and 17, 2009 along the streets of Araneta going to the Plaza where the finale performance was held. 



We went to the San Sebastian Cathedral, just across the Plaza. Festivities are really great with food fairs, mask-making contests, brass band competitions. Well known celebrities join festivities programs. There are drinking and eating contests and many trade fairs and exhibits.

San Sebastian Cathedral

Yearly Masskara festival is celebrated every  third weekend of October  because , it was October 19 was the city’s charter inauguration anniversary.

This beautiful place, Bacolod,  also boasts of antique houses, old churches that dates back during the Spanish time and other cultural sites. It’s really a joyful to see shops with their great products especially arts, colorful masks and paintings and many more. 











I was really happy then, being in a wonderful beautiful place - Bacolod , the City of Smile. :)





20 comments:

tatess said...

Bacolod is a nice palce to visit with and really a City of Smile and the folks are charming .The Maskara Festival is really much awaited and is one of the oldest Philippines culture and heritage

Julie. -- said...

I'm from Bacolod and I'm really happy that they revived back the Festival. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Matsumoto said...

Such colorful masks, this feast very much represents the culture of Bacolod! Ganda!

Sining Factory said...

Though I never experienced Maskara festival yet, I adpted my logo on it. I can feel the happiness and how artistic the festival is. :)I like your photos. Very festive!

germz said...

can't wait to welcome 2012 to start experiencing the diff fiestas nationwide.

fbalgos said...

Charming!!!
I'm from Iloilo, and I always miss this event.

Gil Camporazo said...

For those who haven't yet come to Bacolod and actively participated in her annual MassKara festival, you may come. Plan it out to come next year. You're very much welcome here. Come and enjoy. You won't regret. I'm sure... :))

Michi said...

i never into any festival, i hate the crowd kasi so i'm just happy seeing them on TV or pictures.

Traveling Morion said...

hay ito ung indi q natuloy na trip dhil naoperahan aq, maybe next year... tnx for posting dis:)

Aleah said...

Went to the Masskara Festival this year too! Fun fun fun! Napaka colorful ng costumes! --Aleah Phils of SolitaryWanderer.com

Unknown said...

Very nice! I love it. Sana I can bring my little boy there.

XyzaSpeaks | The Purple Slippers said...

Maskara festival is in my to do list for 2012 :)

yuuki said...

Maskara Festival is rich in culture and the arts! Nice pictures! I wonder when can I attend one...

kRyStLe said...

i've never been to bacolod, will save this link for future reference.. nice photos..

C5 said...

Very colorful! :) One day, I'll be there. I just don't know when. :(

Herbert Kikoy said...

Wow!! Bacolod is just so near Cebu but i havent visited the place :( Hopefully next year

Herbert

Edmar del Castillo Guquib said...

mASKARA festival is the one I am eyeing for priority, wud luv to join..

PALAGUTOM Boy said...

I love the colorful celebration, looks inviting..

Badet said...

I have yet to witness this known festival. It's a shame that I haven't attended one.

postcrosser haven said...

sure they are and they have more reason to be proud because they have a very wonderful heritage. visiting here for the first time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
enjoying wonderful world